15 September 2015

시작이 반이다 ♡ traveling to South Korea

I'm starting this introductory post for the upcoming postings about Korea with a Korean proverb in the title:
시작이 반이다 "shijaki banida" - Starting is half the task.
After finally making up my mind, I think it is about time, that I gather my ideas and thoughts and talk about my trip to South Korea and the time I spent on the other side of the planet.
Traveling is life just as life is traveling vice versa. - Jean Paul



The wish to see Korea came comparatively quickly and doesn't necessarily has such a deep connected story than my dream to go to Japan that I carried since I was a child, like I told in my last résumé of my last big trip, here.
It would be a lie, however, to say that it was any less intense. 
I've studied and visited language classes for Korean for two years and ever since I got into Korean pop music around 2008 my general interest for the country increased. Meeting my boyfriend who didn't have the chance to visit his family for the two years that he has been here in Germany already, might have been the final straw that settled the idea, that going to Korea was something to do by the next opportunity I could get.
Well, I helped make this opportunity reality this summer and so we spent 5 weeks in his home country.

If you follow me on twitter or instagram you could catch some glimpses from our trip already, but I can't wait to share the actual magnitude of impressions I made and photos I took during this month.
Traveling makes you feel closer to the unknown inside of you, too. - Helga Schaeferling

I have decided to make the updates in some kind of chronological pattern but I will sprinkle in specials like hauls or outstanding places to mix it up here and there, too. 
However, there will be no post about where or how we stayed.
Unlike my time in Japan, I wasn't as lucky with experiences concerning our accommodations. 
The first one was so horrible that I don't even want to think about it and I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I cried at some point because I was that grossed out.
The second one was a lot cleaner but I still made some experiences with house centipedes and a cockroach, that I didn't ask for. I cried a lot, to be honest.
But it actually showed me how much more I'm sensitive to the hygiene around me than I always thought and though it was a high price I paid for learning this, I'm kind of happy to know it now.
The meaning of traveling is to balance imagination and reality and instead of thinking how things could be, to see how they really are. - Samuel Johnson

Lastly, I'm always happy to be able to go and see new places, meet new people and see the world.
I think being able to see different cultures and learn from them is something of incredible worth and it has a huge impact on how you see yourself, too. 
I have to say that I was extremely lucky to meet so many wonderful, friendly people who welcomed me with so much warmth and honest interest in who I was and what I thought that I indeed feel kind of blessed for all the things I got through during these five weeks, even if it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows 24/7.

I hope you look forward to the upcoming updates as much as I do.
Any questions? Ask in a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment