27 June 2015

highlights 2014 ♡ artistical homeland

I'm really aweful at blogging right now, since university still keeps me busy and I have a lot of assignments to do, being on the finishing line of this semester.
Even though it's already mid-2015 I don't want this last part to go by the board.
If you want to check out the previous impressions of this series, click here for part one | part two | part three of my highlights 2014.

I've always been interested in art and history and though I take the chance rarely, I really enjoy visiting museums - which there are a lot of in Berlin.
Generally this place has a lot of cultural places and monuments to visit and I think there will always be glimps and parts to discover.
I've been born in that city and therefore can't see it quite with the eyes of a tourist, though I've only lived here for four years - when I was still a small child, which makes it a bit more tricky but even more surprising whenever I get around to see such a place.

We visited the East Side Gallery - one of the most history-charged memorials in Berlin and - as I read - the longest open-air gallery. It's the biggest preserved part of the Berlin Wall and definitely a site to see. 
We originally intending to see parts of the light festival that was held at the riverside of the Spree but it was rather disappointing and we took a small detour that was definitely worth the while - though it was already late and the weather was bad.
"so strong yet still vulnerable. nation, human, forest, tree."
The bigger part of photos for this part belong to a place a 2h train journey from the capital, whatsoever.
I guess my teacher from art class would be proud to know, that I visited this place:
The Bauhaus in Dessau.
The Bauhaus was a German art school that combined crafts and the fine arts, and was famous for the approach to design that it publicised and taught. It operated from 1919 to 1933.
The first of these schools was built in Weimar but they moved around two times and the second one was the one we visited, in Dessau.
The last two years of the school's official operation were spent in a third complex built in Berlin, before the designers and the school were banned by the Nazi regime because some of the students and designers had a communist mindset and their art was then seen as "degenerate art".
The new design concepts that these men brought up had (and still has) a great influence on design (especially industrical design) and architecture, so needless to say I was taught about it during art class in highschool and the boyfriend used this real life experience to study for a test, too.
You can visit their website, here.
I hope you enjoyed this series and all the photos. I've visited another design exhibition a couple of weeks ago and will probably share some impressions about it soon, too.
Of course I will try hard to finally finish the last missing bits and pieces about my trip to Japan before my vacation starts.

Are you interested in history and art?
Tell me in a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment